Geographically located in the Pool Department and covering an area of over 100 km2, Brazzaville has a rich and varied natural and cultural heritage. Conscious of its varied heritage, the capital Brazzaville is composed of 9 districts which are roughly divided around cultural and natural sites: Makélékélé, Bakongo, Poto-Poto, Moungali, Ouenzé, Talangai, M 'Filou, and Madibou Djiri.
The Congo River
The Congo River resembles a large lake dotted with islands, the largest of which is Mbamou. The first explorers who arrived on this site called it 'Stanley Pool' ' Stanley Pool has always been an important in-between point for people living on either bank of the Congo River. These people often meet in the Mpumbu (Mfoa) market to buy and sell various products.
Photo Congo River
The Kintamo Rapid
At the place where the Djoué River flows into the Congo River in the first district (Makélékélé) of Brazzaville, you can see the beautiful rapids of Kintamo. The English explorer Stanley described the site for the first time in March 12, 1877, as an impressive beauty rarely equaled and as a back up reserve.
The Loufoulakari Falls
The Loufoulakari Falls are located 80 km south of Brazzaville. The waterfalls are 30 meters high.
The Sainte-Anne Basilica
The Sainte-Anne Basilica is located at the intersection of avenues Orsi and independence. Construction began on the Basilica in the 1940s at the request of Father Nicolas Moysan and Bishop Paul Biéchy. The Sainte-Anne Basilica is a monument built in memory of the pioneers of French Equatorial Africa, whose capital was in Brazzaville. Accordingly, St. Anne has been given many names, including '' Sanctuary to remember Free-France” and the '' Basilica of freedom. '' The basilica is the work of architect Roger Lelièvre, better known by the name of Roger Erell.
Destroyed during the war in the Congo known in 1997, the Sainte-Anne Basilica was rebuilt in 20 ...
Sacred Heart Cathedral
Constructed starting in 1892, the Sacred Heart Cathedral is the work of Monsignor Philippe Prosper Augouard. The building has undergone several renovations by the architect Roger Erell while keeping its architectural style. The Cathedral was renovated in in 1952, 1982, and 1993.
Monseigneur Augouard Monument
This monument is located in the bishopric courtyard of the Sacred Heart Cathedral. It was built in memory of Monsignor Augouard who established the Catholic Church in Congo in 1883.
The building that houses the Centre for the Training and Research of the Dramatic Arts (CFRAD) was one of the cultural centers created for the diversion of white colonists outside of the two other indigenous cultural centers located in the districts of Poto-Poto and Bacongo, which catered to the African elite.
From January 30 to February 8, 1944, French president, Général Charles de Gaulle, hosted the Brazzaville conference, which regrouped the governors of French Equatorial Africa in order to ensure equal powers and duties.
This monument, dedicated to Victor Schoelcher, is the symbol of the abolition of slavery in French Equatorial Africa (AEF). It was inaugurated on April 27, 1948 by Mr. Cornut Gentille, High Commissioner of the Republic and Governor General of Congo in the presence of Mr. Furnace, Governor of the Middle Congo and Mr. Duburch, administrator and mayor.
“The People Speak to the People” Fresco
This fresco is located in the center of Brazzaville, near the Congo Insurance and Reinsurance (ARC) building. The fresco depicts the history of Africa and Congo before the colonial period, during the colonial period, and until the Congolese revolution. The fresco was developed by artsists, Emile Mokoko, Hengo Michel, André and Jean Ombala Itoua.
The route of southern caravans in the time of ancient kingdoms before the arrival of the colonizers linked the Loango market on the Atlantic coast with Mpumbu (Mfoa) in the Stanley Pool. Route extended further south to Kimpandzou in the Kongo kingdom.
The caravan route was used for a long time during the colonial period before being put into the service of the Congo Ocean Railway (CFCO), which continues to follow the ancient route.
Brazzaville Railway Station
The Brazzaville Railway Station was opened in 1932. It was the location of union meetings during the events of August 13, 14, and 15, 1953, referred to as the "Congolese Revolution" or "Three glorious days." Today it is known as "Freedom Square".
Monument of De Brazza and his Companions
The monument was built in 1943 and inaugurated on January 21, 1944 to pay tribute to Pierre Savorgnan De Brazza, founder of the city of Brazzaville. It is located in Bacongo, in the second district of Brazzaville next to the residence of the Ambassador of France.
Poto-Poto Painting School
Pierre Lods established the Poto-Poto painting school in 1951. It was the first painting school established in Sub-Saharan Africa. Several Congolese and African painters have been educated at the school, including the following Congolese artists: Ossali; Odongo; Ouassa; Gotene; Gavouka.
- Guide illustré du patrimoine Congolais
- Congo terre généreuse, forêt féconde
- Visage du Congo